Pages

Wednesday 21 December 2011

Blood Suckers

*I dug this post out from the depths of my Drafts. I had meant to post it earlier (as is obvious from the date). I guess I am not very different from the general forgetful multitude.

Vampires- moody, xerophobous, strangely intriguing undead creatures that have, over a surprisingly short period of time, transformed from foul blood suckers to tragic heroes. Vampire stories originated from the Eastern European folktales and have now become an integral part of the clan of supernatural (alive/partially dead/undead) creatures that walk the earth.

My perception about zem vampires has never been very good. Here's how I saw them up till now.

The Cartoon Age: Vampires could be seen lying in coffins and lurking in the shadows. These animated vampires could only have been slightly scary when they played a sweet host to a lost damsel or passenger looking for shelter for the night. The gracious host kept an eye on his guest by looking through a painting or hiding behind secret doorways in his extremely ancient and spooky mansion. This was all very adorable because I liked Dracula.

The Teenage: Those sitcoms with cute guys playing a vampire trying to live a normal life. Frankly, I don't remember seeing any vampire movies. Werewolves were much more popular despite vampires being more attractive to the human race. Ruskin Bond's omnibus did nothing to increase my interest in vampires. Those nocturnal blood suckers failed to leave a mark.
Oh and vamps(short for vampires) became synonymous with the female soap opera villains.

The Sad Age: Its sad when a single series changes the definition of a vampire. Whether you believe in a certain mythical creature or not, you cannot, all of a sudden, change the way it functions. And now according to Stephanie Meyer widely popular series, vampires shine instead of burning. The 'hottest' vampire on the block has made girls fantasize about vampires than fear them for all eternity. Shocking.
The latest vampire craze is a show called Vampire Dairies. And when I did give it a chance after a lot of persuasion, I found it to be nothing more than a soap opera that gets too dramatic for my taste.

If you are a vampire fan , this might interest you.
Speaking for myself, the only way I see myself actually liking vampires is if I myself turn into one.
Even then, the chances aren't too high.


2 comments: