Pages

Monday 19 May 2014

Here's a toast to Modi

The swearing-in ceremony is in the pipeline. Manmohan Singh is the incumbent PM of India. 
We stand at the cusp of a major political transition. NDA won more than 5 times the constituencies won by  UPA. 
Amidst talks of Rahul Gandhi's incompetence and Congress's decision to make him the face of the 2014 elections, I cannot help but wonder about the wisdom and decision-making capabilities of the Congress, for the want of better word, elders. In addition to several deficiencies as a young-ish leader, the man committed one faux-pas after another. He failed to inspire confidence amongst the public. Hell, he failed to inspire the youth. Sachin Pilot would've acted as a better prime ministerial candidate. 
What were they hoping for? Nothing short of a miracle would've resulted in a UPA win. Maybe they knew but couldn't back-out gracefully. 

While Mr. Narender Modi neither excites confidence nor hope in me at present, I believe the general multitude is quite hopeful and happy with the verdict. This is understandable after the abysmal governance displayed by the UPA. All in all, I wish him well. I wish he'd be able to quieten his gainsayers with his actions and decisions and inspire his ministers to follow his lead. I hope he has a good run. I hope he makes us want to re-elect him for what he did instead of what the opposition failed to do. 

Oh, to long for a thriving nation! A corruption-free nation! A nation of jolly souls and intellectual leaders, leaders who can be admired as individuals, leaders who can be admired for their wisdom, diplomacy, oration, nature and tastes. 

Rabindranath Tagore's words spring to mind. 
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments 
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.
  
In my part, I shall strive do my best work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment